Tuesday, January 20, 2009

blueberry fields











I woke up that day gravity challenged,
trying to fight the heaviness of my eyelids,
finally my eyes were partially open.

"Total Moisture.."
an upside down bottle of body lotion was on the dresser,
right in front of my sight, I kept blinking..
and reading the meaningless lines on the bottle.

ten minutes later, my brain started to engine,
I had to get out of my warm bed. and I did, successfully.

it was a freezing morning,
and my room looked blue, it needed more light,
I headed to the window feeling the cold attacking every angle of my being,
my fingers started to feel more and more rigidy,
I tried to pull, but the curtains refused to spread open,
as if they were holding each other.

I didn't have the heart to shred them apart
so I moved them together to the other side.

it was 11:13 am, my brain kept squealing for caffeine,
my brain gave my mouth an order to unseal, and I stared calling our maid:
"katty, ..katty, ..KATTY!"
"yes ma'am?"
"my coffee, please" ..remembering,
"don't add any sugar Katty!"
"ok ma'aam"
and there, my beloved coffee started to boil.

as I locked the door,
and started to yawn, accompanied by my hands' stretching,
I turned the other side of the room,
and a huge paper on the television screen interrupted my daily ritual.

I slithered closer, it read:
"dear, don't remove the blue bandage around your neck, I'll be home soon"
the writing was barely readable. it was mom's.

reading the note, my hands unconsciously started tracing the bandage,
and it was really there.

passing by the dresser, I straighten up the lotion bottle and looked at my neck.
I had no memory of wearing it, but I remember yesterday, it was sunshine peaceful.

brushed my teeth. washed my face, and just couldn't stop thinking about that blue bandage. what could have happened? my brain was having a terrible time coming up with suitable scenarios, none of which seemed realistic enough. it was almost 12, mom is not home yet and I needed a shower.

everything was set, I pulled my hair up, and started to unwrap the bandage.
it was tighter than it looked.


the bandage was off, and as I looked closer into the mirror, ..
there was a fine red line around my neck, it was getting more and more visible,
a small stream of blood started going down my neck,
a second later,
my head fell into the sink and my body collapsed on the floor.





leading me to a one and only conclusion,
"I was murdered."

my two, and final concerns were,
the unknown fate of my well-deserved cup of coffee. and myself, laying there naked.

4 comments:

Ahmed said...

Mashallah. You're so talented I like the way you write.

Raisa said...

o thanks Ahmad,
(h)appy you liked it! :)

مشربية said...

رايسا بجد متشكر علي اهتمامك جدا و علي زيارتك للمدونة و علي تعليقك و معلش علي الدوخة بقي و انت كمان مشاء الله عليكي ياعني مش هاعرف اقيمك و اديلك حقك بس برافوا جدا جدا و سعيد اني زرت مدونتك :)

Raisa said...

محمد,
العفو ما عملناشي حاقه c:
الأولى نقول شكراً للأستاذ محمد رضا, لقيت عنوانك في مدونته و ان شا الله لنا زيارات قادمه

and
شكرا جدا جدا
: )